Assignment 3 – Digital Marketing Campaign Plan
In the Assignment 1, you have learned a lot about the external environment, organization (city), competitors, and have decided to target market segment(s). Assignment 3 brings all this key insights together. You will need to develop a 6-month digital marketing campaign plan for your city.
Weighting & Words count
This assignment is worth 40% of the total marks and has 2000 words limit (+ or -10%) excluding references. All pictures, figures and tables should be included in the body of the report, and are excluded from the word count.
Sources and Referencing
You are required to use APA style for citing and referencing. You should use both academic (journal articles) and non-academic (textbook, websites, news, trade articles) sources.
This assignment should be submitted through the SafeAssign submission portal under the Assessment folder. You are encouraged to submit a draft report in the draft submission point first and make some adjustments if needed. The final report should be submitted via final report submission point.
- Executive Summary (1-page maximum)
- Brand Proposition
Articulate the city’s brand proposition
Example of Brand proposition
Mailchimp: Send Better Email
UBER: The smartest way to get around
Apple iPhone: The Experience IS the product
- Persona(s) that you are designing the digital strategy and tactics for (including image)
- Key Digital Marketing Problem and Opportunity you have identified and will tackle.
- Digital assessment:
- Audit of existing social media platforms (followers, number of posts, engagement statistics, etc.). Make a comparison with the three key competitors identified in the previous section.
- Email marketing assessment
- Website and landing page assessment
- SEO assessment (Using key words to search à what are the results, are there other sites mention your website?
- Paid advertising assessment à PPC & any paid adv that following you after you visit the website
- Summarize digital challenges: Identify 3 key digital challenges for the city you have selected as a result of your digital assessment. Demonstrate why these are important issues that should be fixed (i.e. what would the benefits be of fixing these issues)
- Digital assessment:
You should address those key challenge in the proposed activities below
- Campaign Objectives for at least one persona
- What does the organization expect to accomplish through social media marketing? (See examples from Week 4 lecture notes)
- How do we measure the actual performance? (Metrics)
- Select social media zones and vehicles (See Week 4 lecture notes)
- Which mix of the four zones of social media will be best to accomplish our objectives within the resources available? (only select one or two)
- Social community zone strategies
What approach to social networking and relationship building should we use? How will we represent the brand in social networks? What content will we share in this space?
- Social publishing zone strategies
What content do we have to share with audiences? Can we develop a sufficient amount of fresh, valuable content to attract audiences to consume content online? Which media sharing sites should we use to publish content? How should we build links between our social media sites, owned media sites, and affiliates to optimize our sites for search engines?
- Social entertainment zone strategies
What role should social entertainment play in our social media plan? Are there opportunities to develop a customized social game or to promote the brand as a product placement in other social games?
- Social commerce zone strategies
How can we develop opportunities for customer reviews and ratings that add value to our prospective customers?
Should we develop retail spaces within social media sites?
How can we utilize social commerce applications like group deals to increase conversions?
- Content Creation (Try to be consistent with the brand proposition)
- Build at least 3 themes and 5 angles for each theme. (See week 4 Lecture notes)
- Explain how the content is linked with the social media zones.
- Explain key content for the city’s webpage
- Write and draw example of the landing page(s)
- Identify relevant keywords or search terms (This is relevant to your SEO and PPC)
- Display advertising
- What forms of display advertising will you use (VDO, Image, etc), and how will you choose to target?
(For display adv that you see on the website, name a few websites that will be relevant to your target audience)
(For FB adv, Demographic info: Age, gender, location, Interests: Following pages or communities?)
- Write and draw example of the ads
- Explain key activities for Facebook
- Write and draw example of the Facebook
- Explain key activities for Instagram
- Write and draw example of the Instagram posts
- E-mail marketing
- Explain key activities for E-mail marketing
- Outline the format, key features and content
- What is going to be done, and when will you do it? Use a Gantt chart (or other timeline template) to plan your activities over the time period that you’ve decided on, and consider what your campaign is trying to achieve, who your campaign is trying to target and what other events are happening in your city (since we can safely assume that activities you’ve planned won’t be the only ones running).
First think about when your target audience is likely to travel? When are they likely to start planning? Mid Dec and early Jan are not recommended
- You have $50,000 as a budget for the whole campaign
- How will this budget be divided amongst your various works?
Report your pie chart and monthly budget. Submit you daily budget in ‘Budget submission point’. You can explain your calculation of the daily budget in your excel
- Monitor and Evaluate: Outline how you can measure success.
- Now that your marketing campaign is complete, what tools can you use to evaluate your success in achieving your goals? (Google analytics, Facebook analytics, Instagram insights, LinkedIn analytics, Twitter analytics, Social Bakers, Hootsuit)
What targets (for weeks or months) are appropriate for the goals that you have set?
This is the section where you explain why the numbers that you set in the your objectives are appropriate. This is to show your logic behind the objectives.
- Estimated # of travelers under your selected segment
- Current performance in each platform (e.g., likes, followers, etc à remember you only focus on AUS market)
At what stage during the plan’s execution will you track your success, what measurement will you use and how will you respond if these goals are not met at that stage
- At which month?,
- You should explain here about the activities that you (as a digital marketing consultant) could do to check what went wrong and propose activities to fix the issue.
- Can you use A/B testing to test the format? Where the majority of ‘Likes’ come from? Who actually click on your banner?
- Which types of messages (i.e. text-based status updates, blog posts, videos, podcasts, etc.) are performing best with your audience?
- How frequently are your marketing materials being shared virally amongst users?