BSBADM506 – Student Assessment
BSBADM 506 Manage business document design and development
|Declaration:||I declare that:
☐ This assessment is my own work
☐ I have retained a copy for my records
An electronic signature is any method which applies a “signature” to an electronic message. This may range from the typed name of the sender to an image of the handwritten signature of the sender.
Submission Record Student Copy – BSBADM506 – Manage business document design and development
|Student I. D||Date:|
|Frontier Education Representative Name:|
|Frontier Education Representative Signature:||Date:|
|Notes to Students:|
You are required to complete each task in the student assessment and return it to your Trainer/Assessor by the due date.
- Please ensure you complete the front cover sheet prior to submission.
You are required to:
- Read through and follow all the instructions provided
- Ensure that you tick, sign and date the student declaration
- Submit your assessment to your Trainer or directly to the Student Learning Management System (LMS)
Activity 1: multiple choice
Each multiple-choice question has four responses.
You are to answer all questions.
- A hospital is developing templates for their patient records system. The various documents are accessed and/or used by medical and administrative staff, patients and their families. What are two general organisational requirements the hospital has established for design and production of these documents? BSBADM506 – Student Assessment
|Standardisation and consistency across all production methods and document layouts.||☐|
|Document design meets organisational strategic and business planning requirements.||☐|
|Documents are tailored to meet individual employee job roles and customer service outcomes.||☐|
|Information is able to be entered easily by users and stored in an accessible location.||☐|
- The hospital has well-established document and record management policies and procedures. How will they aid document design and production?
|They establish clear guidelines for levels of document security, dissemination of patient information, formats for patient records and describe production processes.||☐|
|They identify when, where and how documents are used, storage requirements and restrictions and version control processes.||☐|
|They define organisational terminology used in patient records, establish legislative requirements and describe scenarios documents are to be used in.||☐|
|They provide step-by-step procedures for document use which guides formatting and content standards.||☐|
- Patient records must comply with a range of legislative requirements. How do the provisions of privacy and freedom of information legislation and regulations impact organisational requirements for storage and dissemination of patient records?
|Privacy legislation requires patient records to be secured in locked filing cabinets while freedom of information ensures patients and their families can access personal records.||☐|
|All medical and personal records for a patient must be held in patients’ rooms or nursing stations so they can access them at any time.||☐|
|Both legislations require the hospital to develop control documentation so staff can monitor the use, storage, dissemination and destruction of patient records.||☐|
|Patient records must be stored securely, access restricted and have processes in place controlling dissemination of records and information to others.||☐|
- What is one technique you can use to identify what documents are currently used in the existing patient records system and require templates?
|Ask employees who currently use or maintain the records system.||☐|
|Investigate types of patient records online.||☐|
|Discuss document and information needs with patients.||☐|
|Survey all medical and administrative staff.||☐|
- Maintaining the new, updated patient record system might be beyond the capabilities of the hospital’s current information technology. What basic capabilities do you need to investigate?
|If existing internal and external storage devices have the capacity to store documents in all types of formats.||☐|
|If the existing computer hardware and software applications are able to process, display, operate and store the documents you plan to develop. (Correct)||☐|
|If current hardware and software systems have the ability for users to access, update and store documents via the internet when not physically at the hospital.||☐|
|If system upgrades are available, at what cost and installation times so you can make recommendations to the Board.||☐|
- Which statement best describes the general capabilities and applications of word processing software?
|It is used to create visual communication documents that use graphics and images as well as text.||☐|
|Text, images, information and other content are inserted into slides that are displayed as a slide show.||☐|
|Information and data is displayed and manipulated in rows, columns and cells. It analyses data by applying preset or user-defined formulas.||☐|
|Uses features such as text editing, basic desktop publishing and language checking and correction to create and edit documents.||☐|
- What external sources of expertise are available to help you identify organisational and information technology requirements? BSBADM506 – Student Assessment
|Administration staff, other managers, software support staff.||☐|
|Government advisory bodies, health industry employer associations and medical specialists.||☐|
|Software and hardware suppliers, graphic designers, health industry consultants.||☐|
|External users such as clients, patients, customers, suppliers, medical practitioners.||☐|
- What are three expenses you need to identify at the planning stage of the document design and development process?
|Payroll, purchases and service providers.||☐|
|Recruitment and labour, information technology and printing.||☐|
|Computer system hardware and software purchases, upgrades and training.||☐|
|Fees and charges for external service providers, consultants and contractors.||☐|
- Which of the following are examples of organisational standards that must be established for documentation?
|Quality controls, record management, output processes, design elements.||☐|
|Design tasks, layout options, production timelines, style guides.||☐|
|Software capabilities, user interfaces, access and security procedures.||☐|
|Language, images and graphics, production processes, security.||☐|
- What is the role of an organisational style guide?
|It establishes document design and content rules and standards which can be applied across an organisation and within a document.||☐|
|It assigns formatting standards to all types of documents; across all software packages they are developed in.||☐|
|It defines an organisation’s corporate image by enforcing consistency in the use of images, logos and document layout.||☐|
|It guides employees in the correct use of document templates to ensure standards are met consistently across the organisation.||☐|
- The document design process consists of three stages: design, development and production. Which of these tasks is completed in the development stage? BSBADM506 – Student Assessment
|Researching existing documentation and creating the first draft.||☐|
|Proofreading and producing the final draft.||☐|
|Producing template masters and variations.||☐|
|Reviewing and revising the first draft, confirming formatting.||☐|
- How does using a suite of software applications from the same developer (e.g., Microsoft, Apple, Google) aid design and development of templates?
|It is cheaper to purchase and use software from the same suite as it reduces staff training and ongoing printing costs.||☐|
|They offer pre-developed templates which don’t need modification and can be implemented immediately by the business.||☐|
|Applications from the same suite are integrated, allowing automatic transfer of formatting and design standards between different types of templates.||☐|
|Completion of design tasks is faster and easier due to consistency in terminology, layouts, functions and toolbars.||☐|
- What are two easily accessible external sources of assistance you can use if you encounter difficulties when completing design tasks during template development?
|Employees and others who currently use the software application.||☐|
|Information technology help desk and hardware supplier.||☐|
|The application’s help facility and online support services.||☐|
|Expert consultants and other IT service providers.||☐|
- A hospital is developing templates for all documents in its patient records system. A factor in the design process is the document’s general and specific purpose. What is the purpose of a Patient Consent Form signed by patients prior to undergoing any medical procedures? BSBADM506 – Student Assessment
|To detail legal and legislative terms, conditions, rights and responsibilities, and record decisions and agreement.||☐|
|To gather patient data, statistics and personal information, and detail legislative standards relevant to the patient and hospital.||☐|
|To instruct patients on their rights and responsibilities prior to and after a medical event.||☐|
|To confirm patient agreement to all hospital rules, regulations, standards and procedures.||☐|
- Alignment and proximity are two basic design principles used to enhance the appearance and readability of a document. How do they do this?
|They create connections between elements in a document, leading to a more ordered and organised design.||☐|
|They ensure consistency in the appearance of design elements by aligning them with margins, page, cell and text box borders.||☐|
|By aligning text, images and graphics in structured, ordered patterns with similar topics clearly linked by proximity to each other.||☐|
|By balancing and repeating elements of the document in an ordered pattern to create an easily accessible format.||☐|
- What is white space and how does it impact readability and appearance?
|It is the space around, above and below text characters. If individual characters are too close, text is harder to read and documents look cluttered.||☐|
|It is the blank space around document design elements. It makes documents more visually appealing and focuses the reader’s attention on its contents.||☐|
|White space is the area between an image or graphic and surrounding text. The amount of white space determines the size and amount of text on a page.||☐|
|White space is used to balance design elements in symmetrical patterns so the document looks organised, ordered and linked to related topics and information.||☐|
- The hospital is in the testing phase for their Patient Consent Form template. They want to complete other tests to identify any issues before field testing it. Considering the purpose of the document (as identified in Q4), which method would provide relevant feedback. BSBADM506 – Student Assessment
|Stress testing in abnormal situations.||☐|
|Checked by the relevant government body (e.g., Department of Health)||☐|
|Checked by an external graphic design company.||☐|
|Evaluated by their expert legal advisors.||☐|
- Testing feedback has indicated some of the wording in the Patient Consent Form template must be revised to meet legal and organisational requirements. What is the process for amending the template?
|Return the template to Stage 1 of the production process, make all necessary changes and complete all other stages and steps in the process.||☐|
|Make amendments to the template, finalise template masters and commence implementation procedures.||☐|
|Make amendments, proofread changes and test the template again to ensure it meets requirements and standards||☐|
|Complete all other testing processes, return the template to Stage 3 of the document production process, make all necessary changes and finalise template design.||☐|
- What is a macro and why are they used in document design and development? BSBADM506 – Student Assessment
|A series of instructions that perform complex functions or calculations in spreadsheet and word processing applications to reduce the number of user errors.||☐|
|A single instruction that automatically completes a series of instructions at the same time to automate repetitive tasks and improve document usefulness.||☐|
|A range of icons that allow developers to easily perform complex image design tasks in presentation slides and desktop published documents.||☐|
|An automated process that can be embedded into templates to ensure users cannot change formatting, layouts and styles without appropriate approval.||☐|
- How can the advanced word processing function ‘form fields’ improve the usefulness of a template?
|Form fields import data from other documents into the template. It speeds up document creation and reduces errors by using pre-tested material.||☐|
|Form fields are pre-formatted text boxes that document users fill in to gain access to other advanced template design features.||☐|
|Form fields identify what type and where document users must enter information, ensuring accurate, appropriate data is gathered.||☐|
|Form fields use tick boxes, rating scales and true/false responses to indicate responses to preset questions in surveys and tests. It speeds up completion and ensures responses to all questions.||☐|
- A hospital is developing templates for all documents in its patient records system. One template is a Patient Consent Form. It details legal rights, responsibilities, obligations and waivers and is signed by patients prior to undergoing any medical procedures. Which two advanced functions would be used to automate certain features in this template? BSBADM506 – Student Assessment
|Formatting and style macros and text linking function.||☐|
|Form field function and formula macros.||☐|
|Text merge and import functions.||☐|
|Margin and page layout macros and text merge function.||☐|
- You are about to test advanced functions embedded in the Patient Consent Form. Why is it important you test the operation of macros and other advanced features used in this template?
|To make sure they respond correctly in all types of situations and scenarios, the advanced features are user-friendly and macros complete all calculations correctly.||☐|
|Macros and other functions should be tested at the same time as all other aspects of the template to make sure they meet organisational style guide standards.||☐|
|To make sure they perform the task or function as expected, in the correct manner without affecting overall document design and purpose.||☐|
|It is important in case the advanced features and macros have not been embedded into the document correctly as this will reduce the template’s functionality.||☐|
- Which of the following testing methods will give you feedback about the operation and effectiveness of macros and other advanced functions used in the Patient Consent Form? BSBADM506 – Student Assessment
|Government body check.||☐|
- A hospital is developing templates for all documents in its patient records system. One template is a Patient Consent Form. It details legal rights, responsibilities, obligations and waivers and is signed by patients prior to undergoing any medical procedures. You have to prepare written notes for medical staff to explain how and when the form is completed. Which of the following is the best format to use?
|Training documentation including PowerPoint presentation and trainer notes.||☐|
|A step-by step procedure with introductory explanation of uses.||☐|
|Flow chart indicating each step in completing the form.||☐|
|An informal explanation written as a blog located on the hospital intranet.||☐|
- What techniques can you use when developing explanatory notes for the Patient Consent Form template to make sure it meets the needs of its intended audience? BSBADM506 – Student Assessment
|Present all information using dot points for easy assimilation, include pictures of every single step in the process and a pre-completed form for comparison.||☐|
|Prepare explanatory notes in different formats to meet different users needs, such as a procedure, a flow chart and a video.||☐|
|Use a writing style that’s appropriate for your audience, keep sentences short and use visual aids if necessary.||☐|
|Determine who the notes are being developed for, and when and how they will be used before commencing writing.||☐|
- The new patient record templates are about to be implemented. The administrative team that maintains patient records need to learn how to access, use and store the new templates. Knowing that there is a limited budget, what type of program would you develop for these experienced, long-term employees? BSBADM506 – Student Assessment
|A generic group program presented as general information sessions.||☐|
|A tailored group program that covers template processes.||☐|
|An individual program tailored to each employee’s identified knowledge gaps.||☐|
|An individual program designed to encompass procedures for all new templates.||☐|
- A new employee has joined the administration team three months after the templates have been implemented and staff training completed. The only learning aids developed at this point are written procedures. Based on this information, which of the following learning and development activities will you implement to help the new employee learn how to use the templates correctly?
- What are two costs directly associated with the implementation of standard documentation?
|Payroll and lost production.||☐|
|Fees and charges for external training providers and contractors.||☐|
|Document production and office equipment.||☐|
|Printing and archiving of obsolete documents.||☐|
- What are two basic procedures that should be followed when creating master templates?
|Master templates must be stored in both electronic and hard copies to ensure they are accessible to all staff.||☐|
|Master templates should have file and formatting protections in place and must be named using organisational naming conventions.||☐|
|All master templates created using word processing or desktop publishing software should be saved as PDF files to protect template formatting.||☐|
|All master templates that contain macros must be protected and given a higher security clearance to protect automated formatting and data.||☐|
- The new Patient Consent Form has a version control number in its footer and file name. What is the purpose of this numbering system?
|To track changes and make sure the most up-to-date version of a template is being used.||☐|
|To monitor usage of the template by counting the number of times it is downloaded and by whom.||☐|
|It indicates what stage the template is at in the document design process so designers and users know which documents are ready for implementation.||☐|
|It is used to track and store templates correctly by using numbers to indicate the section, department, work area and team the template is used by.||☐|
- A hospital has recently developed and implemented templates for documents in its patient records system. Which technique can you use to monitor if employees are using the templates and macros during the first three months after implementation?
|Record number of requests received for further training and development on using the templates or their advanced features.||☐|
|Email all hospital staff on a regular basis and request feedback on when and how they use the patient records templates.||☐|
|Monitor type and amount of feedback and queries received from staff via email, telephone and face-to-face conversations.||☐|
|Develop and distribute monthly formal surveys to all administrative staff requesting feedback on usage and effectiveness of the templates.||☐|
- It’s three months after the patient records templates were implemented. You want to check the quality of documents produced using these templates. Which of the following is an effective method of evaluating document quality at this point in time? BSBADM506 – Student Assessment
|Conduct an audit on all printed and electronic documents developed from the templates.||☐|
|Ask all employees who use the templates to complete a survey that evaluates the effectiveness of the templates and the documents produced from it.||☐|
|Interview a random sample of patients to gain feedback on the useability, readability and appearance of documents and to evaluate design standards.||☐|
|Check a random sample of completed documents against organisational and template standards and style guides.||☐|
- How often should documentation standards and templates be reviewed against the hospital’s organisational needs?
|As required by organisational policies and procedures or continuous improvement processes.||☐|
|Every time relevant legislation and regulations are updated.||☐|
|Templates should be constantly under review to ensure they meet all organisational requirements.||☐|
|When requested by users and other stakeholders.||☐|
- After a review process was completed, a number of templates had to be modified to improve performance. Two had significant changes made to their layout and macros used in them. How should these changes be planned and implemented?
|As the templates had significant modifications, they should go through all stages of the document production process to ensure they meet style and design standards.||☐|
|Review the templates to gain feedback on the changes, then finalised, updated templates communicated to all users and affected stakeholders. (Correct)||☐|
|All modifications must be approved prior to implementation. Once changes are made, updated templates are renamed and saved on the organisation’s intranet.||☐|
|Proposed improvements to the templates are communicated to stakeholders, approval gained, modifications made, templates reviewed and feedback sought.||☐|