BSPD824 Strategy in Management Assessment
The purpose of this assignment is to investigate the various line strategies involved in strategic management and evaluate methods for their integration into an overall strategic plan.
Word Count (excluding your reference list): 1500 – 2000 words maximum.
A myriad of activities goes into creating, producing, selling, and delivering a product or service that are the basic units of competitive advantage (Porter, 1996). To achieve a sustainable competitive advantage a firm must preserve what is distinctive about their company. This means performing different activities from rivals, or performing similar activities in different ways.
The question is though, how are these ideas integrated into an overall strategic plan?
Support your writing with clearly stated evidence from at least THREE academic articles. You may want to include practical examples you’ve observed playing MikesBikes and/or from your personal work experience.
A good place to start this assignment is by reading the article by Porter (1996) entitled, ‘What is strategy’ (uploaded to Moodle).
Other key concepts you may want to consider in your discussion:
- Different levels of organisational planning
- Functional level activities and Porter’s Value Chain
- Porter’s Generic Business-level strategies
- The Balanced Scorecard
- Other academic readings
Recommended reading: A typical structure for an academic essay
- Literature review
- APA References
We will discuss the following in class:
- The various line strategies involved in strategic management and their inclusion into a firm’s overall strategic plan.
- Also include a review of key readings (discussed in class) on this topic
- Support your ideas with examples from MikesBikes AND/OR examples from current or previous work experience.