Business Environment Y/601/0546
Unit 4.1 Business Environment Y/601/0546
Level 4 15 Credits
ATHE Level 4 Extended Diploma in Management (QCF)
ATHE Level 4 Diploma in Management (QCF)
ATHE Level 4 Certificate in Management (QCF)
You have gained an internship with the CBI, an organisation that supports UK businesses through its London office and a network of regional offices. You are working in a regional office in an area of high unemployment and the CBI has been approached to offer a series of lectures and seminars to support business development in the area. Some of the lectures/seminars will be aimed at those wishing to set up businesses; others will be aimed at established businesses which may benefit from a more ‘global’ outlook’.
You have been given the following tasks:
You are to produce an informal talk/workshop for people who are considering setting up their own business. Prepare a PowerPoint presentation with supporting notes. Use hand-outs to provide detailed information which you can distribute to your delegates. Your presentation and supporting materials must:
- Identify the purposes of different types of business organisation, providing local, national and global examples
- Using the examples provided, identify the different stakeholder groups and describe the extent to which an organisation meets the objectives of its different stakeholders
- Explain the responsibilities of an organisation and strategies used by organisations to ensure these are met. (This will ensure that anyone who is inspired by your presentation and goes onto set up or run an organisation is aware of their responsibilities.)
LO1 AC 1.1, 1.2, 1.3
You must provide a handbook which will help participants in the lectures and seminars pursue their business ideas. This will include detailed information on the nature of the national environment in which businesses operate and the behaviour of organisations in their market environment. You must provide the first draft of this for your line manager.
You must ensure that the sections in the handbook include the following information
- Economic systems – using examples of different types of economic systems, explain how they attempt to allocate resources effectively
- Government policies and regulatory mechanisms – government actions have a huge impact on many aspects of a business. This may determine whether delegates choose to set up their business in the UK or elsewhere. To enable them to make this decision you must include:
- the impact of fiscal and monetary policy –using specific businesses as examples, assess the impact of current fiscal and monetary policies on organisations and their activities
- competition and other regulatory mechanisms – using a selected organisation evaluate the impact of current competition policy and other regulatory mechanisms within which it operates. (NB you may use a UK based example or an organisation based elsewhere but the mechanisms evaluated must be appropriate to the country in which the organisation is based.)
- How the market works
- Market structures – give examples of the different market structures that exist and using diagrams explain how they determine pricing and output decisions
- Market forces – give examples of market forces and using diagrams illustrate how these market forces shape organisational responses
- Business and cultural environments – organisations respond differently within different cultures. Using a selected organisation judge how the business and cultural environments in which it operates shape the behaviour of the specified organisation.
LO2 and LO3: ACs 2.1, 2.3, 2.3; 3.1, 3.2, 3.3,
A day’s conference and networking opportunity has been set up for local business leaders who may be interested in expanding globally. You have been asked to project manage the event and have arranged for experienced local global business leaders to present specific workshops. However you will need to deliver the introduction to the conference. This will be a presentation in which you will:
- Discuss the significance of international trade to UK business organisation
- Analyse the impact of global factors on UK business organisations.
- In preparation for the introduction prepare detailed notes which cover both of these topics
LO4 AC 4.1, 4.2
LO4 AC 4.3
Due to the on-going national discussions about whether the UK should or should not be part of the EU a separate workshop is being held on this topic. To prepare for this you have been asked to prepare a discussion document in which you evaluate the policies of the European Union on UK business organisations. Business Environment Y/601/0546