Children’s Picture Book Scenario
As an educator with ABC Early Learning program, you are always looking for ways to enhance your program’s literacy curriculum, while also supporting your state’s early learning standards for literacy. In addition, you want to reflect the interests and culture of the children in your program, encouraging their love of reading. You choose to create self-made children’s books to both fulfill early learning standards and to reflect your group of children best. This self-made children’s book will be added to your program’s library for children to access on their own.
Create a children’s picture book that is developmentally appropriate for children in your program, reflects children’s interests and culture, and fosters a love of reading. To create the book, you may use any of the following: PowerPoint, Word, Publisher, or another similar tool. You may also create the children’s book by hand and take clear photos of the pages to submit.
Include the following:
- An introduction explaining:
- The content of the children’s book
- How the book connects to your state’s early learning standards for literacy and the targeted age (Infant, Toddler, Preschool, Kindergarten, Early School-Age)
- An APA formatted reference to your state’s early learning standards
- Ten (10) pages that contain visual elements (photos, clip art, drawings, etc.) along with developmentally appropriate text. You are encouraged to use drawings and direct quotes from the children to enhance the quality of this project. NOTE: the introduction is not included in these ten pages.
- If you use a tool (listed above) to create your book, save it as a PDF file and submit it. Be sure the file includes your introduction with reference along with the ten pages.
- If you create your book by hand and take photos of the pages, place the photos and your introduction in a Word document, save it as a PDF file, and submit it.
- Be sure to proofread your work for grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors.