ENGL-111- Artificial Intelligence
1. Artificial intelligence (AI) has been one of the hottest topics in the past few years. It has been rapidly growing due to the numerous areas that can benefit from it.
2. With the rapid growth of using ِartificial intelligence in different fields, there have been some concerns that it will be a major threat to the human race in the near future and thus, it has to be banned. However, AI has many advantages that overcome its disadvantages. Furthermore, the probability of AI being dangerous is very low; therefore it should not be banned. ENGL-111- Artificial Intelligence
3. In this paper, I will discuss some of the positive points of AI, and some negative points that make some people support the idea of outlawing AI.
4. Key terms:
- Artificial Narrow Intelligence: This kind of AI is designed to perform a single task such as facial recognition or playing chess .
- Artificial General Intelligence: It is when a computer system is as smart as a human in every single aspect.
- Artificial Super Intelligence: This is when a machine is better than a human at all cognitive tasks .
5. The first fully automated machine was designed in 1941 during the second world war. This machine was designed by Alan Turing to Automatically decrypt German intelligence messages .
1. AI systems are more reliable and accurate than humans.
- One of the areas that benefited from the reliability of AI is the automatic target recognition in radar systems. Originally, the target recognition was performed by examining audio signals received by the radar. This approach introduced unreliable and inconsistent target recognition that is based on the limited senses of radar operators. This is now replaced by machine learning algorithms that can automatically examine audio signals and recognize the targets with very low error rates .
- Medical diagnosis is an area that is influenced by the accurate decision of AI systems. A machine learning system developed to diagnose down syndrome by using facial photographs reached an accuracy of 94.6% of correct diagnosis. On the other hand, a study showed that the accuracy of human-based clinical diagnosis of the same syndrome is between 50-60% . ENGL-111- Artificial Intelligence
2. Artificial Intelligence (AI) is more efficient than human beings in carrying out risky and mundane tasks.
- There are many jobs considered risky that can be performed by machines. They can adjust to whatever was the situation and no matter how difficult or unsafe it is.
- There are some jobs that can be easily assigned to robots such as a security guard or a house cleaner. If this kind of jobs was overtaken by machines, humans can focus on other jobs that involve creativity and originality.
3. As AI replaces some handy jobs, it creates many other jobs and opportunities.
- In fact, more people are employed today than ever before even though AI technologies are developing rapidly .
- Many employees that work in jobs that involve human emotions are at far lower risk of going unemployed .
4. Artificial Intelligence could be dangerous.
- Artificial intelligence robots could be programmed to do something devastating such as autonomous weapons.
- In some other situations, the aim of the program is to perform something beneficial, bey it develops a destructive way of achieving its goal. For example, if you asked a self-driving car that has not been programmed properly to take you to the hospital as fast as possible, it may get there chased by a helicopter .
- If researchers were able to achieve AGI (Artificial General Intelligence), the AI system could undergo recursive self-improvement which will lead to introducing ASI (Artificial Super Intelligence). In that case, nobody knows what could be the outcomes, because it will be the first time that computers are more intelligent than humans.
1. In conclusion, it can be said that the benefits of AI overcome the drawbacks. The danger of AI is one of the drawbacks that can be addressed by implementing rules and regulation on AI practices and enforcing strict and proper testing criteria for any new AI application. If these rules were applied well, there will be no need of banning AI.