English Assignments Paper
Developing Writing Assignments- Grand Canyon University
1. Choose an idea from theories of rhetoric that corresponds well with the genre you have chosen to develop as a unit for instruction. Learn as much as you can about it. Avoid concepts with which student at the high school or college level will already be familiar (such as logos, pathos, and ethos).
2. Select appropriate models of the rhetorical concept from the examples of the genre you have chosen to teach.
3. Develop a lesson plan, including an environmental learning activity and other supporting activities, that would provide students with an opportunity to remember, practice, and apply the concept to their writing.
4. Reflect on the following (500 words or more) and use previous theories of writing pedagogy and transfer in your reflection:
- Why did you choose your concept?
- To what extent will the concept you have chosen be adaptable to other contexts? (How might it change if it were utilized in a different genre?)
- How does your lesson plan foster transfer-based thinking for your learners?
- How do you know that your learners will remember the concept you have taught them? (Even though they won’t remember after one lesson, what have you done to set them up for future reinforcement?)
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion. English Assignments Paper
You are required to submit this assignment to Lopes Write. Please refer to the directions in the Student Success Center.
This benchmark assignment assesses the following programmatic competencies:
2.1: Apply appropriate pedagogical practices to the teaching of writing.
2.2: Articulate the relationship between transfer of learning and writing.