Essay Topic: Interrogations in Guantanamo Bay
Throughout this course you have read about, and we have discussed, numerous issues relating to both intelligence and law enforcement interrogations. This final assignment is to look back at what you have learned and answer the question: “How effective do you believe the interrogations are that are conducted today in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba and how could they be improved?”
Think back about some of the key things we learned:
– Steven Kleinman points out how the CIA KUBARK manual recommends using analytic support to interrogations and how in prosecuting the war against Al Qaeda they need to do the same.
– Dr Randy Borum highlights that of all the studies of behaviors–which we use to train interrogators on identifying deception–very few of these studies utilized non-American or English subjects.
– We also reviewed the different types of mechanical detection of deception. Should they be tried on the Guantanamo detainees?
– Several articles referred to law enforcement interrogations. Can lessons learned from law enforcement be applied?
– Is there a new technology that could be utilized, but there would have to be a new policy or law to allow its use?
** You do not need to be an expert on Guantanamo interrogations. This is simply the one strategic interrogation facility that is being used by the US. There are multiple issues that our readings have brought forth which can directly link to Guantanamo. Think about how you could improve the intelligence collection through interrogation, and make some recommendations.
Utilize the readings from this course and outside research, as well. Provide 5-pages of real writing (not counting your title page, quotes, and references), 12 font, double-spaced, by the due date. Use the Turabian format for your citations and references. I prefer footnotes and a bibliography in in text citations.
Reference Educing Information: