ETH 321 Week 3 Apply Assignment
NB: Get the answers at $1.2 per question !
1. NuKere, a nuclear plant, accidently leaks hazardous waste onto a nearby property, despite having recently passed a rigorous set of safety checks. Under standards of strict liability, which of the following is true?
NuKere cannot be held liable, as it just passed a strict set of safety checks.
Which crime is BEST represented by the following situation?
2. Dagan sneaks into an event center through an unlocked window to steal valuable items on display for an event the next day.
3. Rebekah unknowingly grows illegal marijuana plants in her garden, assuming they are just weeds. If Rebekah is discovered growing the marijuana, strict liability would infer that:
4. What type of crime is money laundering?
5. Penny is seen organizing racks at a local clothing store one day while she shops, and the manager offers her a job. The next day, Penny’s boss from the clothing store across the street comes in and accuses the manager of trying to interfere with Penny’s non-competition agreement. Which of the following is true? ETH 321 Week 3 Apply Assignment
6. While on a hike with a tour group in the mountains, Derek gets mauled by a bear. No previous reports of bears in the area had been made. Derek wants to hold the tour company liable for his injury. Which of the following is most likely true?
8.Which crime is BEST represented by the following situation?
Jeff decides that it is time to clean up his act and stop manufacturing bong pipes in his basement. He uses $15,000 from bong pipe sales to open a children’s toy store. The next day, the police bust Jeff for his sale of drug paraphernalia.
10. Eleanor often borrows her roommate’s car because she does not have one of her own. One day, Eleanor goes on a joy ride on rocky terrain and gets a flat tire. Eleanor refuses to replace the tire because she does not own the car. Which of the following is true? ETH 321 Week 3 Apply Assignment9. Elizabeth is out with her friends at a bar one night. The bartender notices someone slip a pill into Elizabeth’s drink. If Elizabeth commits a crime later that night, the bartender can best testify on her behalf. Which defense most likely applies to this situation? (Whether or not the defense will work is not relevant.)
11. Jennifer took a video recording of Jack and Alice fighting in an alley. Jack and Alice disclose multiple private facts about each other through the course of the argument. Jennifer posts the fight on the internet. Which of the following is true?
- Jack and Alice can make a tort claim against Jennifer for public revelation of private facts.
12. What type of crime is petty theft?
- Capital Crime
13. Penn commits a tort while acting in the interest of her undisclosed principal.
Who is responsible or liable?
Which statement corresponds to this specific situation?
14. Virgil and Suzanna both apply for the same job. Virgil is 55 and Suzanna is 60. They have the same qualifications and experience. Virgil is turned down and Suzanna is hired.
15. Felipe is an illegal immigrant seeking work in the U.S. He is hired by a small factory doing manual labor. When it is discovered that Felipe is an illegal immigrant:
16. Tiana runs an employment agency distributing work assignments to many workers who then work for whatever employer they are assigned to. Which true statement best suits this situation? (“Discriminate” in this context means to make an employment decision about employees based on the characteristics described in the text.)
17. Phineas is an agent assigned to scout out professional players for a football team. One player he brings in has a drug problem, which Phineas knows about but does not disclose to the hiring team. If the player is selected, which of the following is true?
18. Marley goes outside the duties of her agency in negotiating a business contract between her principal and a customer. Which of the following is true?
19. Which statement corresponds to this specific situation?
Rowan owns a computer programming business with 15 employees. He is hiring a new employee, and he turns down a 45-year-old man because he is “too old to keep up with the rest of the group.”
20. Which statement matches the following scenario?
Joy is a supervisor over Elias. She repeatedly solicits sexual behavior from Elias and does other inappropriate actions that a reasonable person would find offensive. Elias has not solicited the behavior and finds it unwelcome. Joy never imposes a tangible job action against Elias.
21. Orlando’s business wants to enact an affirmative action plan. Which of the following would not be a part of the process?
22. Kenzie is a broker agent hired to make a deal for the purchase of an office building. Kenzie sells the building.
What is the result related to the status of the agency? ETH 321 Week 3 Apply Assignment
23. Megan’s boss is out of town. While she is gone, the company receives a critical tax bill from the state that must be paid immediately. Megan does not have authority to pay bills, but arranges for the company to pay the bill anyway. Which response best first the situation?
24. Which of the following would be considered a situation of legal employment discrimination?
25. Which statement matches the following scenario?
Layne is romantically interested in his employee, Brenda. He keeps asking her out, and she repeatedly has to turn him down.
26. Mike is an agent making purchasing orders for Tami. Tami passes away before the agency contract is voluntarily ended. Mike has already done some of the work Tami assigned.
What is the result related to the status of the agency?
27. Cynthia is a union member at her company. She files a complaint against the union because of what she feels is an unfair rule. Which of the following is true?
28. For the scenario, determine whether or not the person should be covered by worker’s compensation protections.
Vicente works at a factory. While he is working, a coworker negligently trying to spin donuts in a forklift runs into him, causing an injury to both workers.
29. Cathy works in a welding shop. While working one day, a pipe falls from scaffolding above and lands on her head, injuring her. Cathy complains to OSHA, but the company argues that because it has a “watch out for falling pipe” sign in the workplace that it gave fair warning. It also says that if Cathy wasn’t wearing a hardhat, she is responsible for her own injury. Which of the following is true?
30. Ozzy recently started working at a new company. He has been solicited several times to join the union of the company, but he would prefer not to. The union officials tell Ozzy that he won’t be allowed to keep working unless he joins the union. Which of the following is true? ETH 321 Week 3 Apply Assignment
31. Darlene and her friends get together for lunch after work. While at lunch, the friends discuss what they can do to solve the problem with excessive overtime at work. Which of the following is true?
32. Fill in the blank that completes the statement.
Alonzo’s Crooked Cake Shop has had workers attempting to unionize in order to be able to work fewer hours per week. Alonzo’s argues in court that because there is only one other cake shop in the region, a strike and other union activities would disrupt competition in the cake business. Alonzo’s is using __________ to prevent union activities.
33. For the scenario, determine whether or not the person should be covered by worker’s compensation protections.
Noel is on break at work and is bored. He climbs up on a conveyer belt and comically uses it as a treadmill. He slips on the belt and falls down, and his hand gets stuck in the belt and is injured. Noel’s actions are typical, and his employer knows that he usually engages in this kind of behavior.
34. For the scenario, determine whether or not the person should be covered by worker’s compensation protections.
Ginger works at a shop as a mechanic. One day at work, a fellow employee is pinned under a car when a jack fails. Ginger rushes over to help, and while trying to lift the car suffers a stroke.
35. Ella makes minimum wage. Her job title is “System Assembly Supervisor.” She primarily spends her workday putting together electronic components. She is asked to work more than 40 hours this week to meet a deadline. Is Ella eligible for overtime pay?
36. Read the scenario and determine what result the law requires.
The union at Elsa’s firm is on strike because the company has not been following OSHA safety standards. During the strike, management hires a new person to take Elsa’s place. When the strike finally ends, Elsa wants her job back. ETH 321 Week 3 Apply Assignment
37. Fill in the blank that completes the statement.
Al’s Fine Winery has had workers attempting to ban together to form a union. Al’s wants to avoid letting the workers gain too much power by eliminating new workers’ option to join a union at all. Al’s will likely utilize ____________.
38. Maddox is Gordon’s 17-year-old son. He is a whiz at repairing machines and is employed doing so at the factory full-time during the summer. He has already worked 40 hours this week, but some machines still need repaired. Is Max eligible for overtime pay?
39. Buster has had a serious medical condition for many months. He has used up all of his sick leave and vacation days, as well as 10 weeks of intermittent FMLA leave. He asks for an additional two weeks off from work. Which of the following is true?
40. Read the scenario and determine what result the law requires.
The union at Cherry’s firm is on strike because it wants higher wages. During the strike, management hires a new person to take Cherry’s place. When the strike finally ends, Cherry wants her job back. Which of the following is true?