La Costbucks Case Study Analysis
La Costbucks is an Italian coffee bar chain specialising in organic high quality coffees and French pastries. Its unique stance on CSR (corporate social responsibility) and ethically sourced delicious products have made it a big hit in Europe where it also has stores across the UK, France and Spain. La Costbucks is looking to break into the Asian market and is planning to open its first stores in Shanghai and Beijing (China).
As before, the new stores will operate in a very similar way to operations in Italy (HQ), with the same product line in order to retain their individuality and unique ethical selling point. A General Manager (PCN) has been identified and is available to be flown over to China in the first instance from Italy, but the company require more advice on staffing policy and whether to hire local staff for management positions (as well as at barista level).
The company has approached you, as an experienced HR consultant, to advise them about key HRM considerations for establishing their business in China. Your report should address the following key areas and make clear your reasons for recommendations:
What are the main challenges that La Costbucks will encounter setting up China?
Answers will debate:
- The pros and cons of pursuing a CSR strategy in China.
- The key cultural differences between Italy and China and how this may impact HRM and managerial practice.
- The most effective IHRM staffing strategy to adopt (citing appropriate models)
- The difficulties expatriates (PCN’s & TCN’s) specifically may face adapting in China and ideas to overcome these.
- Discuss ethical issues which may be relevant for a European MNC setting up in China, with a specific focus on ‘migrant workers’, decent work (ILO) and reward.
This case study assignment should be undertaken as an individual piece of work. As it is an academic piece of work you must support your analysis, arguments and recommendations by referencing from published material (academic text books, peer reviewed journals and appropriate media). APA reference style must be used.
Assignments should be in report format (i.e with a contents page, sections, subsections, a clear introduction, a conclusion, comprehensive referencing and bibliography).
- Abstract/Executive summary (word count not included)
- Introduction (approx.300 words)
- Discussion (approx.3000-3500 words)
- Conclusion (approx.300 words)
- Recommendations. (approx.300 words) (Acceptable to bullet point these).
- Reference List (word count not included)
- Appendices (word count not included)
Word length should be approximately 4,500 – 5,000 words. This does not include appendices, bibliography or any supporting tables/graphs. A limit of 10% either way is acceptable for the word count.