Strategic Management in a Global Economy
Discussion Question (DQ) – CLA2 Preparation
This discussion question will help you prepare for your CLA2 paper, and as such, will have a fair amount of detail. Read the CLA2 assignment. Then, please provide an outline that itemizes the concepts that you will include in your CLA2 paper. Please be sure to include concepts learned in the course and information (findings, conclusions) from your PA1 and CLA1. Provide some brief details for each item that is outlined. Please keep in mind that you should have place-holders for material not yet covered in lecture from week’s 6 and 7. Here is an itemized list that summarizes the requirements of this DQ (include every item in the bullet list below, or you will not receive full credit):
- Outline that itemizes concepts learned in the course
- Include information (findings, conclusions) from your PA1 and CLA1
- Brief details for each item that is outlined
- Place-holders for material not yet covered
Compare and contrast the strategic management of the following companies:
- Walmart, the world’s largest retailer who specializes in being the low-cost provider;
- Nordstrom, the largest volume fashion retailer in the Western United States.
While there may be other factors, the most obvious and significant difference between these two retailers is their very different position on price and value. Some aspects of each company that you could consider in your analysis follow. Click here to ORDER YOUR PAPER NOW
Mission Statements: Compare Walmart’s and Nordstrom’s mission statements. What do they say about the companies? How does the mission statement affect your impression/expectation of what the customer experience might be for each store? If you have ever shopped at either, did your experience match your expectation created by the mission statement? Why or why not? Refer to Chapter 2 of the course text for Walmart’s mission statement; for Nordstrom, use the following:
In store or online, wherever new opportunities arise, Nordstrom works relentlessly to give customers the most compelling shopping experience possible. The one constant? John W. Nordstrom’s founding philosophy: offer the customer the best possible service, selection, quality and value.
Price Points & Positioning:
How do the companies’ selected price point affect the following:
- Their image to their customer?
- To competitors?
- Their relationship with their employees?
- The customer experience for purchases? For questions? For problems?
Which of the five generic competitive strategies do each use for their:
- Overall brand?
- For their retail stores?
- For their online stores?
- Why might they use a different strategy for their “bricks-and-mortar” versus their online stores?
- How does each store respond to competitive threats?
Long-term Strategies for Growth and Sustainability:
- Where are the opportunities for growth for each store?
- Are these growth opportunities sustainable?
- What factors affect growth and sustainability for each store?
Note growth can refer to sales/revenue, volume of sales, number of locations, market share, number of employees, etc.