PPMP20009 Leading Lean Projects
Supplementary Assessment 1 (40%)
Length: 2500 – 3000 words (excluding references and appendix)
Case Study: Organizing a world class sporting event emphasizing on lean project management.
Incomprehensible submissions– Assessments provide the opportunity for students to demonstrate their knowledge and skills to achieve the required standard. To do this, assessment responses need to be both clear and easy to understand. If not, the University cannot determine that students have demonstrated their knowledge and skills. Assessments will, therefore, be marked according to the marking criteria (accompanied by the marking rubric). Failing to meet the requirements may result in 0 (zero) marks where relevant.
Do not reproduce statements from PMBOK or PRINCE 2 or any other references without proper context.
Leadership is knowledge, skills, and behavior required to guide, motivate and direct a team to achieve its business goals (copied from page 56 of PMBOK), as this is considered plagiarism, instead you must show how you would apply that statement to your case.
PMBOK version 6 constitutes 10 knowledge areas, 5 process groups and 49 process activities or
PRINCE2 consists of 7 Principles, 7 Themes and 7 Processes.
Produce your answers for the case in question. DO NOT write about the theory or explain what PMBOK, PRI NCE 2, DMAIC methodology, etc covers. That will not attract any marks. You should demonstrate the application of the best practices not the theory.
Discuss with your lecturer/tutor if you need help.
Word count limit (excluding references and appendix). Your submission should be made using Microsoft WORD document of 2,500 – 3,000 words. Text length less than 2500 words will be penalised by 5% of the total available marks while text beyond the 3000 word limit shall attract a penalty as follows:
- 3001 – 3300 words: 5 marks
- 3301 – 3600 words: 10 marks
- More than 3601 words: 15 marks
Late penalty. Late submissions will attract penalties at 5% for each calendar day or part thereof that it is late of the total available mark for the individual assessment item. This means that, for an assessment worth 40 marks, the mark that you earn is reduced by 2 marks each calendar day that the assessment is late (including part-days and weekends). See s4.58 in the Assessment Policy and Procedure (Higher Education Coursework).
Check with marking criteria. Before submitting your assignment, you should check it against the assessment criteria and the marking rubric included in this specification to ensure that you have satisfactorily addressed all the criteria that will be used to mark your assignment.
Academic language. All submissions should be thoroughly proof-read for spelling, typographical or grammatical errors before being submitted. Do not reply on the ‘spell-check’ function in your word processing program. If, for example, ‘affect’ is substituted for ‘effect’, your program may not detect the error.
All assignments will be checked for plagiarism (material copied from other students and/or material copied from other sources) using TurnItIn (TII). If you are found to have plagiarised material or if you have used someone else’s words without appropriate referencing, you will be penalised for plagiarism which could result in 0 (zero) marks for the whole assignment. In some circumstances a more severe penalty may be imposed. The link to the University’s Academic Misconduct Procedures is available in the unit profile.
Case Study Introduction
You have been given a task to organise an international sports event the ICC World Cricket tournament to be held in India in 2022. Assume India plans to use 6 major stadiums in 6 major state capital cities- Kolkata, Mumbai, Chennai, Bengaluru, Lucknow and Ahmedabad.
You may refer to the recently concluded ICC 2019 World Cup Cricket in England and Wales. https://www.cricketworldcup.com/
This assessment item requires you to work INDIVIDUALLY. As the project manager in charge of delivering such as an important world sporting event, you are required to produce a REPORT to be submitted to the organising committee.
1. With regards to the event identify and elaborate: (out of 8 marks)
- The processes from PMBOK or Prince2 that you would use to assist with stakeholder expectation management
- The critical stakeholders for the event
2. As the project manager in charge of delivering such as an important world sporting event identify and elaborate the following terms with regards to the event: (out of 6 marks)
- Voice of the Customer (VOC)
- Critical to Customer Requirements (CCR)
- Critical to Quality parameters (CTQ)
3. In what ways would you have implemented lean project management for this event? You need to identify and elaborate the areas and opportunities where you can eliminate waste. (out of 8 marks)
4. Identify and elaborate processes from Agile Practices and Lean Six Sigma DMAIC Methodology that could be used to implement lean project management. (out of 14 marks)
5. Clarity of expression, grammar, spelling, final summary and correct APA style referencing (out of 4 marks)