Socratic Skill Builder 5: Ethics
Question #1 – Concepts (You must write 100 words minimum for the entire question, which includes #1A, #1B and #1C. Penalties will be assessed if you fail to answer #1A, #1B and #1C.) Based on your experience, education (including the videos and materials assigned this week), and knowledge, how would you best incorporate the following concepts into your view of how to get the best performance out of an organization:
- Sub-Question #1A: Business Ethics:
- Sub-Question #1B: Corporate Social Responsibility:
- Sub-Question #1C: Agency Problem:
Question #2 – Chapter 10 (Business Ethics) (You must write 100 words minimum for the entire question, which includes #2A, #2B and #2C. Penalties will be assessed if you fail to answer #2A, #2B and #2C)
- Sub-Question #2A: Summarize and expand on Chapter #10 of the textbook
- Sub-Question #2B: Do you feel a business’ primary responsibility is to make a profit, or do you feel there is some responsibility to do “good” and perform ethically to best serve society?
- Sub-Question #2C: Do you (not your team) feel Starbucks is an ethical business? Use personal examples/experience of business ethics if you can.
Question #5 – Business Consultant (You must write 100 words minimum for the entire question, which includes #5A and #5B. Penalties will be assessed if you fail to answer #5A and #5B.) For this question assume you are a business consultant asked to help a business understand how to improve their performance:
- Sub-Question #5A: What would you suggest they do (think about how you might analyze the company’s situation and develop a plan), and focus the bulk of this question on how you will incorporate or address ethical issues with your client firm?
- Sub-Question #5B: Discuss issues related to business ethics and the reality of applying ethical principles to the practice of business (and making a profit).
Question #6: (Course Case) (You must write 100 words minimum for the entire question, which includes #6A, #6B and #6C. Penalties will be assessed if you fail to answer #6A, #6B and #6C)
- Sub-Question #6A: Discuss how global cultural, and technology issues have impacted Starbucks, and most importantly, how these issues may impact Starbucks in the coming decade.
- Sub-Question #6B: Explain not only what happened to Starbucks in the past (again, issues related to technology, culture, and globalization) regarding business performance, but strategies that could have been used to better position Starbucks for their future.
- Sub-Question #6C: Overall, do you (not your team) feel Starbucks represents a great, good, average, or poor investment at this time – and WHY
Question #7: (Course Synthesis Paper) (You must write 100 words minimum for the entire question, which includes #7A, #7B and #7C. Penalties will be assessed if you fail to answer #7A, #7B and #7C) At this point in the semester all students should be well on their way to completing their synthesis paper. Have a group discussion with your teammates (and with other class mates if you wish or have the time), and share thoughts about your paper – about your view of business and strategy.
- Sub-Question #7A: Describe here how your ideas and thoughts are similar and different from those shared by others?
- Sub-Question #7B: Why do you believe this is the case?
- Sub-Question #7C: Why are your ideas more valuable (or not) and did their views influence your thinking (if so, how)?