COST 2506 Reading Response
Length: 750 words
The following questions are based on the book by Terry Flew and Richard Smith titled: New Media: An Introduction. The readings are available on D2L.
Answer one of the following questions:
- Flew and Smith draw parallels between the development of earlier forms of communication technology and the development of “new media.” What were some of the new business models and government regulations that were introduced with these earlier forms of media (i.e. the telegraph, telephone, radio, film and television)? How are these business models and government regulations still relevant today with new media?
- Explain the difference between the two competing perspectives on media technology discussed by Flew and Smith: technological determinism and social shaping theory. What are the strengths and weaknesses of these theoretical perspectives?
Your answers must be based on the assigned readings. You are welcome to draw upon class discussions, class material and personal experience to illustrate your points.
The following criteria will be used to evaluate your reading response:
- Ability to demonstrate comprehension of the reading
- Ability to discern and explain key concepts from the course reading
- Use of direct references to the reading
- Clarity of writing and organization of written response. COST 2506 Reading Response
Your assignment should be printed and handed in during class the day it is due. A penalty of 2% per day will be deducted for late assignments.