HRPD 709 Industrial Relations
Please view the movie “Final Offer” available on the internet and answer the following questions.
- Describe the chronology of events during the UAW-GM negotiations.
- Briefly explain the social, economic and political context that influenced the negotiations.
- Is there evidence of accountability on the union side?
- Describe the respective bargaining agendas of the two sides, identifying their target and ideal settlement positions.
- How would you assess the relative bargaining power of the two sides? What sanctions did both sides have? Were they prepared to use them?
- Describe the compromises and movement that occurred from the opening of negotiations to the final settlement.
- Explain why and how internal bargaining takes place (because the movie provides more information about the union, concentrate on the internal bargaining within the union).
- What role did the media play in these negotiations?
- What qualities make a good negotiator?
- Font size 12, preferably Arial / Times New Roman, 2.5 cm margins
- Typed and double spaced, no more than 5-6 pages not including cover page
- Stapled together including a cover page with your name, professor’s name, course code and due date on it
- Single sided printing for hard copy
- typed and presented error free in a manner acceptable for business and professional purposes
- Work is properly referenced using APA format
- Projects without proper references will not be marked
- Copy and paste from website/s will result in an automatic zero mark