HS 235 WEEK 1 Assignment
HS 235 WEEK 1 The Social Welfare and Policy-Making Process
After reading your assigned chapters from Social Welfare: Politics and Public Policy, conduct an Internet search to further define social welfare policy.
Consider the following terms in your search: social welfare, assistance for needy families, social public policy, and needs-based programs.
Write a 2- to 3-page description about social welfare policy using at least 3 sources.
Select a social welfare entity currently available as a result of public policy (i.e. SNAP, HUD).
Include the following basic information about the selected entity:
- Name and target population
- Funding: Who funds the program?
- Recall the 5-step policy-making process.
Speculate how the policy-making process contributed to your selected social welfare entity in 250 to 300 words.
Provide an explanation for each of the 5 steps.
HS 235 WEEK 2 Social Welfare Presentation
Consider the following scenario:
Imagine you are an active, leading member of an organization whose mission is to strengthen the community of human service workers. You have been asked to speak to your local community of newly graduated human service workers who joined your organization. Your goal is to advocate for them to become involved in policymaking on a local, state, and federal level. HS 235 WEEK 1 Assignment
Create a 7- to 10-slide Microsoft® PowerPoint® presentation that addresses the following:
- Describe the beneficiaries of social welfare.
- Describe 2 to 3 misconceptions regarding social welfare.
- Describe 2 to 3 barriers regarding social welfare. Be sure to address financial aspects.
- Describe 2 to 3 challenges associated with social welfare.
- Explain how human service workers contribute to public policy.
- Highlight 1 social welfare entity (i.e. SNAP, HUD). Speculate the role of the human service worker throughout the policy-forming process that influences the entity. Describe the sphere of influence a human service worker has for each phase of policy formulation. Connect activities a human service worker can contribute to in the policy-forming process.
Include 3 to 5 resources.