Innovation Enterprise and Society
INNOVATION, ENTERPRISE AND SOCIETY: ESSAY OPTION FIVE: INNOVATION, SOCIAL JUSTICE AND ETHICS: HOW SHOULD THE FRUITS OF INNOVATION AND TECHNICAL PROGRESS BE DISTRIBUTED?
Due date: Friday Week 12. Length: 1,500 words.
Critically evaluate the following statement: “State income redistribution policies are necessary to ensure the fair distribution of the benefits and proceeds of landmark innovations related to mechanization, robotics and artificial intelligence.” In your answer refer to TWO key unit concepts. In your opinion what policies or practices could be implemented to ensure a fairer distribution of the fruits of innovation?
GUIDELINES AND HINTS:
1. There are several approaches you can take to this topic – you should try to address the question in light of at least TWO of the following unit themes. You can also connect different themes if you like.
- You may wish to engage with the literature on whether mechanization and robotics systemically REDUCE the jobs available in the economy (Weeks 5 and 6). This is itself debatable. IF you find this IS the case, then does society (and government) actually have any obligation to address the issue? Why or why not?
- You may approach the question from the perspective of whether current intellectual property rights regimes (and substantial and long lasting technical rents) are justified – if you find it is not, does this have implications for redistributing income? (week 4, Week 3). Here (entirely optional ) you may wish to engage with the claimed difference (if any) between proceduralist and consequentialist concepts of distributive justice or fairness (Topic 11/Week 12 teacher’s notes and readings. Also to some extent Week 4 readings and teacher’s notes).
- You may wish to consider which bodies, groups or organizations fund and develop innovations – what role does the state funding, science and education policy play here (Topic 9/week 10 readings ). How significant is the use of past, freely available scientific and technical knowledge? (week 4 readings).
- You may wish to engage in the debate about whether a universal basic income is necessary and/or morally justifiable (Topic 12 Week 13 readings)
WARNING: YOU CANNOT DO ALL OF THESE THINGS IN A SHORT ESSAY – THESE ARE JUST SOME SUGGESTIONS OF ALTERNATE WAYS OF APPRAOCHING THIS QUESTIONS.. Innovation Enterprise and Society
2. It is CRITICAL that you reference fully and accurately. Please refer to the referencing guidelines in the Learning Guide. Essays which are unreferenced will fail.