Intercultural Communication 191
Assignment 2– Intercultural Communication 191
All answers must be typed, completely free of grammatical and language errors, have clear citations if they are not your own ideas or words, and limited to around 10 lines per question. Each question is worth 2 grades.
(1) Based on what we’ve learned about levels/dimensions of identity, choose TWO specific identity labels or parts (not just the broad categories, but specific characteristics or descriptions) to which you feel a strong sense of belonging. Describe briefly why they are important to you. Discuss how these identities affect your communication (verbal, nonverbal, communication style, etc.).
(2) Ethnocentricism is problematic for ICC. In our accompanying textbook Introducing Language & Intercultural Communication by Jane Jackson, she identifies, explains, and relates a solution to this issue (in the book, turn to the index page as you search for the term itself to find out where she does so. The book itself is available in the main library or can be googled for specific content). What other concept(s) have we discussed in class link to this phenomenon? And what makes some people/cultures more ethnocentric than others?
(3) Also in the same textbook (which is mentioned in Q2), Jackson informs us that there exist ‘cultural scripts’ (also find this by flipping through the book’s index to get to the needed pages) for groups to be aware of & follow during their socialization. Use that idea to provide an example of a Kuwaiti (or any other culture with which you are very familiar) cultural script. Be very specific in labeling your context which contains your script precisely as Jackson does. Assignment 2– Intercultural Communication 191
(4) Non-verbal communication is a key aspect to mind & be aware of in order to avoid misunderstanding & miscommunication as we see with the concepts of proxemics & chronemics. Below is a list of other non-verbal dimensions/orientations that we have not discussed in class. Exempting the two mentioned above in this question, pick from the list below any TWO of your choice & give an example for them from the Kuwaiti (or your own) culture.
(5) View the Helen Turnbull TEDx talk titled ‘Inclusion, Exclusion, Illusion, and Collusion’ (available on Schoology in the materials section). Provide TWO comments on her talk – ONE agreeing with a specific point she made & ONE disagreeing with something she said. Make sure to write academically & use appropriate terminology/vocabulary from what we’ve learned in our course. Also, for ease of reference & tracking, mention next to each of your comments the exact time in minutes in the clip upon which you’ve focused your answer.
Bonus question. (Optional; worth 2 marks; only counts if you’ve attempted all 5 main assignment questions above)
Visit the link provided on Schoology in the materials section titled ‘Colors around the world.’ Take the 9-question quiz there & report to us on it. How many did you get right? Were there any ones that were surprising to you? If you made any mistakes, what reason do you think was behind that?