Marketing Strategy and Plan Report
Instructions for assessment
- The mode of assessment: A report written on the design of a marketing strategy and implementation plan for a product or a service of your choice underpinned by academic and professional literature.
- What % of marks (if any) are awarded for presentation of work and referencing: 10%
- Word limit:3500 max excluding references and appendices
Your final report should include the following sections
Part 1: Introduction and Product/Service Description (10%)
A brief description of the new or improved product or service that is the focus of your report. Agree your choice with your tutor by week 2.
Part 2: A Critical Analysis of the Market Context (20%)
Include a brief analysis of the market:
- Key market trends (e.g. growth trends)
- Who are the key competitors and how are they positioned?
- Summarise the current customer attitudes/behaviours in this market
- Identify the main issues / opportunities you think are relevant including social and/or ethical issues (if relevant)
Part 3: Segmentation, Targeting and Positioning (STP) (20%)
- What base(s) of segmentation you have used and why?
- Include size, geo-demographic, psychographic etc.
- Summarise the profile and persona of your target market and, if not a completely new product, how is the target market different from the segment(s) targeted in the past?
- Include a statement that identifies why your target market should buy your improved product or service– i.e. what benefits it now offers and what problems it solves?
Part 4: Your Recommended Extended Marketing Mix (given your analysis above) (30%)
Traditional marketing mix elements:
- Product (include, for example branding and packaging and service quality)
- Pricing Strategy
- Promotional Strategy including Digital Media
- Channel or Distribution Strategy
Services marketing mix elements (where appropriate):
- Physical evidence (e.g. including essential and peripheral evidence, servicescape etc.)
- People (including role of customer in the value creation process as well as employees and/or relationship marketing challenges)
Part 5 A discussion of Implementation Issues (10%)
This section should discuss issues related to implementation such as co-ordination between different departments and the role of internal marketing, as well resources and capabilities required to implement your chosen marketing strategy. Marketing Strategy and Plan Report
A further 10% of your grade is allocated to presentation and referencing (10%)
Two Group Presentations to be submitted on (1) Monday, 22 October 2018 and (2) Monday, 19th November 2018.
The formative assessments takes the form of a Presentations by a group made up of between 4 and 5 students outlining the key points you plan to make in parts one and two.
The first presentation is expected to cover: (1) Market Analysis, Product information and STP strategy.
The second presentation is expected to cover (1) Marketing Mix and Implementation
Each presentation consists of maximum of 5 Powerpoint slides with maximum 10 minutes commentary on the slides. You will need to provide references of your sources of secondary market information and marketing theory in Harvard format on the final slide. Feedback on the presentation will be provided by the tutor(s).