Risk Engineering & Safety System
- Describe the safety benefits and associated threats with Autonomous Vehicles. (200 words, 2 marks)
- Identify the various systems and associated technologies, both internal and external to the vehicle responsible for enabling autonomous driving for road vehicles. (500 words, 4 marks)
- Identify major risks at the present state of development of technologies to enable automation for vehicles. (250 words, 3 marks)
- Analyse the two excel files containing safety performance of Autonomous Vehicles for the year 2019. Determine the main hazards (causes of disengagements of autonomous system), their frequency and criticality. One of the possible metrics on criticality could be number of
disengagements per travelled distance. Explain the findings using graphs/tables and narrativetext. (3 marks)
- Develop a 4 x 4 risk matrix of the risk scenario. Explain the basis of categories chosen for probability and consequences (3 marks)
- Develop a bow-tie diagram for identified threats and consequences, considering the top event as death caused by vehicle in autonomous mode. (3 marks)
- Develop a Systems block diagram showing sub-systems involved in vehicle automation and their major interfaces/interconnections (3 marks)
- Develop a Bayesian Network on potential of accident for an autonomous road vehicle using scenario described below.
Note: This simplified scope is considered to work within constraints of 15 node limit in the free version of Netica. Please do not limit your response to earlier questions to these systems only.
Major systems of an autonomous vehicle environment posing risk of an accident are as follows.
- Cyber Vulnerabilities in the form of network attack, physical access, denial of service
- Interference with connected systems/devices like GPS, Cameras, Keyless Entry & Ignition, Blue Tooth, Wi-Fi, On-board Diagnostics, Engine Control Unit, Tyre Pressure Monitoring, Sensors
- Prominent unsafe acts/conditions reported (cause of disengagement from analysis outcome of the dataset)
- Prepare a BN diagram with above systems, including learnings on interfaces among the subsystems to model the occurrence of an accident of an autonomous road vehicle.
- Explain the basis of inputs used for node-tables, discuss the output on risk of accident and your reflections. (BN Model – 5 marks, Explanation and justification – 4 marks)
The Bayesian Network shall be based on the student’s understanding of the variables influencing an accident of the Autonomous Road Vehicle (from the papers / additional subject matter). Maximum number of variables shall be 15. Analysis of datasets (the student should be able to use some of the output in Answer 4) shall be used to create states and prior probabilities.